Friday, January 09, 2009

Proud mommy!

Ok. Now I have some time to write. Later I gonna read my Shichida's books to gain more insight and solutions for my current challenges.

It's past midnite now, a few hours ago was my birthday :) The day before, we had a small celebration at home. Aloysius helped to fix the candles on the candle sticks and poke them on the cake. The first 2 candles were poked in with too much strength. Aloysius learnt to control his strength subsequently :) He sang me a complete birthday song too :) And he helped me to blow the candles. His candles blowing skill has improved tremendously also. I enjoyed every moment of the celebration.

Bernice can walk at 9 months old! I am so proud that she can actually walk 8 steps tonite. A week ago, she started to make 1 tiny step. When we were in Bali, she started to fall in love with standing. I can see that Bernice is someone who will not be afraid to try anything. I hope this energy will stay with her for life. Never try never know. Just fricking do it!

Charlene is able to see through at least 100 flashcards in a session. She has very good concentration span. When she found something new, she will sit there and explore on her own too. She likes exploring with her fingers. She can even pinch (using her thumb and pointer) on something and put into her mouth.

Every morning, I will do flashcards sessions for my ABC. So, if there's any phone calls in the morning, I will probably not pick up, cos I am usually very busy. I have to finish the flashcards sessions by 10am daily, and start to get ready to send Aloysius to school. I do separate flashcards sessions for all of them since their attention span are different.

Aloysius simply loves going to school. He likes his teachers too. His journey going to school is very interesting everyday. He will walk to the MRT station with me. Along the way he will explore things and look at the vehicles passing by. For example, today he heard the siren of an ambulance and the siren of a fire engine, then he saw two ambulances, mini buses, small van, big van, etc. Mommy here sometimes is confused on the names of the vehicles. hahaha... Today he explored the leaves too. On Monday, he saw dog's poo on the pavement. There's so much to learn about his environment. I am very happy that I am there to teach him when his interests is there.

The feedback from the parents who stayed in the class was that Aloysius is very independent. When we reach school, he will run to his classroom. I will help him to put his bag in the cupboard, then say goodbye to him. He will wave goodbye to me and start to play with the things in the classroom. The teacher assistant will bring him to the toilet during class time. He had an "accident" on the second day of school. It's probably his English teacher did not know what he was talking about when he says "urine". Aloysius does not understand "shee shee" for urine. The teachers are getting to know the kids better. I think Aloysius is well liked by the teachers and staffs in the school. As long as Aloysius is happy in the school, I am happy :) One of the target for Shichida kindergarten for 3 years old is to be able to count 1 to 150. So far, Aloysius know 1 to 100 already. This will be a new challenge for him. The teachers will not be concentrating in phonics. I think they will be concentrating on words recognition. Aloysius already know his alphabets well, both capital and small letters, plus the sound of the letters. The most recent addition for his speed reading cards are keywords from the stories :) I am hoping that he will recognise more words. He can recognise the words of the categories of his flashcards already. I am not very sure if it's necessary to teach him spelling though I have already started a little. He has one classmate at Shichida Method who knows how to spell very well. This classmate's mum can mix up the letters of a word and she will be able to arrange the letters to form the word! It's really amazing! She's barely 3 years old.

I am still procrastinating on going to the library to borrow books about nature to read to him. Aloysius now knows that getting dark, sunny days, raining, lightning, thunder, etc. are all nature. And mommy cannot control nature. I would love to read about why it gets dark, why the sun comes out in the morning, why there's rain, why there's lightning and thunder, etc. to him. I still yet to find the time to go to the library to do some research.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Read your blog and really impressed with your kids progress esp. A. May i know wat's the fees like in Shichida kindergarten.

Friday, January 09, 2009 10:33:00 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Glad things are all going well. YOur 2 girls progress is great!

So different and amazing how their character is different and how we can alwasy positively reenforce them!

Happy being a mum!

Thursday, January 15, 2009 12:02:00 PM  
Blogger Happy Sunflower said...

Yes, I am a very happy mommy :)
We show what we want our children to be. Telling them and teaching them is not effective. We gotta show cos actions speak louder than words. I learnt this valuable lesson in my business.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 12:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home